Thursday 13 March 2014

Getting somewhere at last!

The Pracktica MTL3 with pinhole lens attached.
I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!

A couple of days ago I made yet another pinhole shim for the Pracktica MTL3 35mm SLR.  As you may recall, I love the look of the pinhole on the Micropress 4" x 5" but was a little worried about making a full essay with the reliance on one camera.

During a brainstorm I realised I had the MTL3 spare and could convert that to a pinhole.  That way, I could use the 4" x 5" to make the critical images that I have planned for the essay and carry the MTL3 in case I come accross something I hadn't considered.  In addition to this the MTL3 can carry 36 exposures in one roll and I can carry several rolls in my pocket at once!  Whereas the 4" x 5" has two shots in the dark slide and carrying several dark slides around may get to be hard work.

Pinhole shot taken with previous
 pinhole shim.    Lacks a little definition.

I'm happy with the 4" x 5".  In terms of quality the images are fantastic.  In fact to say there isn't any real lens on the camera they are well beyond what I expected.

The 35mm, I have struggled with.  I wasn't getting anywhere near the image quality that I wanted.  I didn't mind too much that the images we very impressionist in their appearence but what I did want to see was a little more detail.  I didn't want the images to be too blurry.  I wanted them to have just enough definition.  The new shim gives me the level if detail that I was after.

Looking at the lens you wouldn't even think there was a hole there.  It is tiny.  In fact it is the diameter of the tip of a sewing needle.  But it's working.



Pinhole lens version.  Note the less blurry look to
 the pavilion shot.
Image taken with 50mm lens
attached to camera.











The other day, I put a roll of Ilford FP4+ in the camera and took it out and I am happy with the results.  There is now quite a bit of definition in the images and I really don't think I need to go any sharper with this.  This will do nicely.


Next thing to sort out is which film.  Do I stay with my favourite black & white film, FP4+ or do I try something else.  In the coming weeks I will be ordering some film to take on holiday with me.  I might have to order a range of films to see which I like best.

For now though it's time to leave Lancoast alone for a while.  I have my cameras set up, I know what I'm doing with film and by the time I get back from holiday it will down to the business of shooting the essay.


Image taken with 50mm
lens attached.
Pinhole lens version.  Note
detail in the grass and on
the bridge.

 * Click the images to see larger version.






No comments:

Post a Comment